Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sleep?

Blurgh - it's quarter past four in the morning, and I'm wide awake. I went to bed about half past two, as I thought I was tired. But after lying there for about an hour and listening to Eddie Izzard, without even the slightest feel of drifting into slumberland, I'm up again. I hate sleep - well, I really enjoy a good night (or days) sleep, but I hate the necessity of sleeping. So often I wish I could just go days without it, so I didn't feel the sense of lost time. It's like having chunks of your life stolen away, because you don't DO ANYTHING while you're in bed. We are quite inefficiently designed creatures. Although I don't know if there are any other animals that can go without sleep for prolonged periods without ill effect. I seem to recall reading something about fatal insomnia - I think it was the condition that the main character in The Machinist was suffering from. Basically you don't sleep - not in any real sense. But the brain still shuts down, or blacks out for brief periods - with literally NO sleep, the body apparently shuts down after some period. No sleep can kill you. Scary...
Okay, this is seriously crap. I hoped that doing something like this might help me drift off, but I feel even more awake now than I did earlier. I guess that at least I don't have to work tomorrow, so if I end staying up right through Sunday then crash heavily tomorrow night, that'll be fine. I know that I can get by on very little sleep - the week I went back to night shift at work I averaged about 3 or 4 hours sleep a day. I felt pretty fucked, but I survived...
I bleached my hair today. It felt like that time of year - this has become sort of an annual event. It came out reasonably well - perhaps a little yellow, but nice and even. I might give it another dose tomorrow - it's only $13 for the kit I used, so even if another treatment doesn't have much effect, it's not that expensive. It's funny, my brother-in-law asked me if I thought it would work very well in his hair. He has quite dark hair, so I suspect it would go kind of reddish or orangey. He also has quite a lot of grey in his hair - which the kit says won't take a bleach. I feel kind of lucky, I guess, that I still have hair that'll take a dye. In fact, I feel pretty good that I still have a decent head of hair - no real evidence of thinning out like my mothers father. I also shaved off my goatee. That wasn't such a good idea - I think I'll be growing it right back. At least it grows pretty quick - by the time I return to work in three weeks, it'll be well established. That was the other thing I was thinking with my hair - if I decide that I don't want to go back into the blokey environment with blonde hair, I can chop it off at the end of my holidays without having to completely shave my head. Although shaving my head might be a laugh...
I am considering putting more interesting colour into my hair though. I was looking around at hair colouring on the net, and if I can find the Manic Panic range in a shop here or in Tauranga, I might go something like Electric Lizard (bright green) or Vampire Red (a really deep red) or Electirc Lava (bright red/orange) or Shocking Blue (sort of a shocking blue...). Or perhaps spots of each, so I can have "M&M" hair, as someone I knew a while ago went for. I'd say the green or blue are the most likely candidates. I will definitely have to investigate. It's one cool thing about my current job - I can look like whatever I want, as long as I don't have dangly jewellery that might get caught in the equipment. It's great not having to be concerned about what the company might think about my appearance.
Right, I think I'm going to give this sleeping bollocks another try. Good night...

1 comment:

Matt said...

It is indeed cool that you could dye your hair anime character blue, and not have to change it for work :)

Hope you got some sleep in the end...