Friday, December 15, 2006

I was wrong

I've been seeing the ads for Trading Spouses on TV3 this week, and I saw some of the episode last week, and I realised something. I was wrong, sort of - it's not exactly religion that causes problems, it's people. Fucking stupid people. Trading Spouses has some horrendous fat cow who claims to be a "God-warrior" and various other things ranting and screaming because she was sent to be with a non-Christian family. A few things struck me about her attitude - complete intolerance, leaning on her faith like a crutch... Just the basic fact that she was really fucking fat. How much extra food does the fat sow eat to maintain her size? Surely a good christian woman would see that she could be a normal size person and that the extra crap she shoves down her neck could help others. It's the thing that's funny about some people - they do lots of praising God, and Jesus, but they don't really live a life that seems Christian. I don't know... I guess I don't mean Christian life, I mean more of a good life, a giving life. I don't live a particularly selfless life - I don't give a great deal of money to charities, I don't give up time to help others more than I have to, I tend to spend money on whatever makes me happy without consideration of need versus want... But I do try to be as tolerant as possible, to at the very least do no harm to any other human being or creature. And given that I'm not really a church-going Christian type, that seems enough to me. But I think there should be more in the life of good religious people.
Bum, I'm watching House at the same time as I'm writing this, and it keeps breaking my train of thought.
I think I've touched on this before - the forms of prayer adopted by my sisters church. I was thinking about that again, and it occurs to me that the Mega-Church she attends doesn't do anything for the community except try to convert people. As far as I can tell, they are a Church dedicated entirely to the spiritual side of things, with no consideration for living a giving life while on earth. I went to listen to sme guy a whle ago at the church, talking about his life and his journey to becoming a Christian. It was very inspiring, and quite moving, sort of overwhelming. BUt again, all it was about was worship God and go to Heaven. I think good people should do good things. There should be as much of a component of doing what good you can as worshipping a Deity, in my opinion...
I've finished work for the year! Hooray! It's cool to get a proper 3 week holiday over christmas - so much better than the cinema... I think I went on about that in my last post, so I won't say much more. It's also really cool working for a company that actually values its employees to some extent. There was a christmas meal provided in the cafeteria last night by the production leaders - and the senior management dragged themselves out of bed at three in the morning to be there too. And we got christmas hampers - full of chocolates, and puddings, and shortbread, and of course a christmas cake. A 1kg iced jobbie. I think I'l take it up north with me when I go to visit my folks - I don't really see me eating a kilo of christmas cake...

1 comment:

Matt said...

That's awesome that senior management showed up at 3am. And the kilo of cake's not bad either ;)