Well, it's been a while since my last post, so this'll be a kinda random update of anything that comes to mind from then last couple of weeks...
So I dropped my mother off at the airport a while back, and when wandering back out to my car I passed an elderly gentleman with his grand daughter - she was probably about 4 or 5. I was passing the police station thingy in the Chch airport carpark, and the girl said "That sign says Police, but he looks like a criminal." HA! I thought that was hilarious... I was wearing a big black puffy jacket, and a beanie, and I have a goatee - so yeah, I guess maybe thug or burgalar makes sense from a little persons point of view. She was very well spoken for a small child, I must say...
I've been working horribly long hours over the last few weeks... lots of twelve hour shifts. When you start work at 7 in the evening, finish at 7 in the morning then sleep all day, life takes on a very surreal quality. There's this distinct feeling of disconnection from the world... It's hard to explain. But, long hours = plenty of cash... Although it still seems to just disappear. As someone at work said, the more you earn, the more you're likely to spend. Long hour also = being mucho knackered, but I'm surviving...
Had yet another training course last week - fire extinguisher handling. It was raining, so we couldn't do the practical part of the course, so it was just sitting and watching a crap video on the instructors laptop, which sucked because he didn't have external speakers or anything, so it was almost impossible to hear. Then filling out a "test," although they gave us the answers anyway, so that wasn't much of a challenge. I mean really, the only part of the course that would have been either fun or helpful was the practical. But the etinguisher we were going to use was dry powder, which apparently has issues with water, so can't be used in the rain. At least not just for practice. I would imagine that if there was actually a fire you could use dry powder around water - I think the issue is one of cleaning it up after it gets wet.
Anyhoo, I have to go to work fairly soon, so I should probably go and sort out dinner and things before it gets too late. It's funny, the older guys at work seem to find starting work early fine, because they don't have to do much of anything in the evening befrehand. They all seem to have very traditional marriages, where they go out and earn money, while their wives stay home and look after the house, and cook and things. I mean, I'm single, so I have to do these things for myself, but the world has really changed - in more modern relationships, both partners are likely to be busy outside the home, so cooking and cleaning and things become shared responibities. Or at least that seems to be the case...
Sunday, August 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
or else the rain would put the fire out anyhoo?
I dream't last night (and very vividly) that you BECAME a policeman (which is what Grandma Oglesby always predicted) perhaps small child at the airport has priesence of the day when you will work as an undercover cop.....? How's that for mental gymnastics -and i have had lots of sleep.......
I think that what they set fire to is a mix of petrol and diesel in a 40 gallon drum, so water wouldn't put it out.
Becoming a policeman might be cool, except that I'd have to get very much more in good shape. What a terrible sentence...
Post a Comment