Saturday, February 21, 2009

The raven and the squirrel

Once upon a time there was a little squirrel. he lived in Hyde Park, near Buckingham Palace, although that isn't important right now. Let's call the squirrel Harold. So Harold was out in the park, looking for edibles. Eventually, after some industrious foraging, Harold found... something... I didn't actually see what the little furry dude was carrying, but he seemed pretty happy with it. Anyhoo, after scrabbling it out of the dirt at the base of a tree, Harold took his whatever out into a grassy patch, and made with the burying. What a clever little squirrel.
And once upon a time there was a raven. Let's call him... Iggy. So Iggy was just grooving in the park, not up to much, when he spots a squirrel digging near a tree. And when the squirrel comes up with paydirt, Iggy thinks, "That looks like something I want. I don't know what it is, but damn if it ain't something I'm gonna take."
And so Iggy non-chalantly (if that's a word) hopped up behind Harold, looking off in whatever direction seems most likely to make Harold feel there's nout going on. And when Harold is finished burying his treasure, as in the photo, Iggy hops up and steals it. Such is life in the parks of a big city...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ravens seem particularly adapted to being muggers and thieves - especially from not-too-bright squirrels :)

AdamC said...

A million years later and I'm looking back on this... I can totally see that this could be misconstrued as racist. I was, without any subtext or anything, talking about ravens and squirrels. But if some precious social justice type came across this, they could totally make it about a BLACK bird stealing from a NOT BLACK squirrel. Which would be ridiculous, but entirely in keeping with what I expect from this stupid world.