Saturday, May 03, 2008

Interesting times

Well, the last couple of weeks have been pretty darned cool...

I've had the last week and a half off work, which in itself is an awesome thing... I spent a week of this time in Mt Maunganui and Tauranga, hanging with the fambly. it was a good time. Urgh, this is coming out kind of stilted and horrible. I'm not very awake - I went to the late session of Ironman at Riccarton last night, and although I've had about 7 hours sleep, I still feel knackered. The film was great - big action, quite funny, generally cool - and my sister came along, which was also neat. It kind of completes a set - I went to the late session of Pirates of the Carribean 2 with my bro and his wifey when that came out, and I saw Pirates 3 with my mother at a late session too. I guess the only person left to do this with is my dad. There's just something kind of fun in the whole experience, knowing that it's a bit silly because it's so late but enjoying a good movie...
Anyhoo, back to my holiday... yeah, it was great. Seeing the folks is always nice, and as a huge bonus my brother and his gang were there for half the time as well. It was awesome to meet Dom again - he's changed so much since Xmas time. Little people are wonderful...
I had a strange experience on my return to Christchurch though. When I went up north, I had a fairly substantial ginger beard, and my normal hair. As I seem to do quite often while on holiday, I ended up with blonde hair and trimmed back to a tidy goatee. When I was waiting for my sister outside the airport, I had this indian guy talk to me. It was an interesting conversation...
He said hello, in the way you'd greet an old friend you haven't seen for ages. I was somewhat confused, and immediately started trying to work out if this was someone I knew. He welcomed me to Christchurch, and asked me where I was from. I told him that I was from Chch, and had just been up north visiting family. I began to suspect that perhaps he was some sort of religious type, about to tell me about the glory of some particular Deity. Then he told me he was on his way to Auckland, but he hoped to see me when he came back to town. Being the type of person I am, I was just smiling politely and making generally affirmative noises. And feeling progressively more confused by this nice, friendly person... Then he said "I am a gay, are you?" Oh. Whoops...
I just said no, and that was pretty much it. He said goodbye and went off to catch his plane. I found the whole thing highly amusing. It's the first time I've been hit on by a gay guy. I don't know if it's the hair that made him think I was a gay too, or if it was the Golden Breed jacket I was wearing, which has a combined male and female sign as it's logo. I think it's just that they make unisex clothing, but I guess it could be misinterpreted... But no, I think it's probably just that he thought I looked like a gay in general. I don't find this at all worrying, oddly enough - I'm comfortable enough with myself these days that it doesn't fase me if people make inaccurate assumptions based on my appearance. I like the way I look, and that's all that really matters.
The other thing that did occur to me was that if I was a gay, I could probably do better than the guy who talked to me... Hee hee... : )

1 comment:

Matt said...

It was cool catching up over the holidays - Dom has certainly changed a lot since Christmas, so it was very cool that you got to see him in his current phase.

I would take the being-hit-on as a compliment :-)